Welcome to My Blog!

The Adventures begin from here on and now...

Thursday 17 November 2011

Cabbage Rolls


Cabbage Rolls

I've always been wanting to do this recipe. I was impressed when an elderly lady from  my work made this. I was pumped to make one as well. Foreboding with how much work it would entail, I decided to make it anyways. And I'm sure glad I did. It was worth it. I made a few changes, according to my liking.


Ingredients:

1-2 lbs. ground pork or beef {I use both}
2 heads of cabbage {blanched}
1 cup uncooked  rice
salt and pepper, and garlic powder
1 can tomato sauce {mix with  1 cup water and 1 tbsp. sugar- adding sugar to tomato paste brings out more of the flavor and cuts the acidity of the tomato}
diced onions and tomatoes {optional}



Directions:

Blanched 2 heads of cabbage, one at a time on a pot of boiling water for 1-2 minutes. {Remove core after blanching it, this keeps the cabbage from opening up when placing it in the hot water}.
Mix ground meat, uncooked rice, diced tomatoes, onions, salt and pepper. Add half of the tomato paste to the meat mixture. Separate the blanched cabbage and place 2 tbsp. of the mixture in the middle of the cabbage leaves and wrap it as you would, like a spring roll.{use a tooth pick if you want it to be secured- as long as you place it side down, it won't open}. Place all cabbage rolls on a glass baking tray and pour the remaining tomato sauce on top of it.{don't use a metal pan, the acid in the tomato sauce might change the flavor or corrode the metal tray}.Bake the cabbage rolls at 350 degrees for an hour or so. 



It took me all afternoon to make this dish. I suggest you set a time of day to do this. And make a big batch! 




Freeze the rest of the cabbage rolls, and you can always have one ready when you crave for one.


Cabbage Rolls. I finally did it. It was pretty tasty. Juicy and flavorful.











No comments:

Post a Comment